In the early 1990’s the Hagedorn family created the Spring Brook Farm Foundation and purchased conserved agricultural land (Spring Brook Farm) in Reading, VT, from the Vermont Land Trust. Licensed as an independent school by the state of Vermont,188 acres were purchased for the Dormitory/Educational Facility and the Spring Brook Farm Foundation changed its name to the Farms For City Kids ® Foundation.
1996 – 1997
- New dormitory completed and 252 acres for Forestry Program, Hiking Trails, Pond and Horse Pasture activities purchased.
- Education curriculum developed in partnership with NYC Board of Ed. Hosted 1st NYC School.
- Increased participation from 250 to 350 urban students, mostly from NYC
- Welcomed first students from Boston, MA; initiated day programs for local VT schools
- Farms For City Kids web site launched
- Increased participation to four Boston Schools and over 200 local VT school students
- Welcomed 500 students from NYC, Boston, NJ, Ohio & Delaware.
- Dormitory addition completed that includes a library, office and bedrooms.
- Independent Research Firm evaluated Farms For City Kids ® Education program to ensure achievement of future outcomes.
- Welcomed 750+ students including schools from Nashua, NH and Long Island, NY
- Strongest participation with 32 urban schools including Philadelphia, PA & Providence, RI
- First International inner-city school from Vancouver, Canada attends our program
- Spring Brook Farm Cheese House built providing economics, chemistry, microbiology and food preservation study venues. First wheels of Tarentaise Cheese produced.
- Spring Brook Farm Tarentaise cheese took 1st place in farmstead cheese from the American Cheese Society, 1st place at World Championship Cheese Contest in Wisconsin and ‘Best USA Cheese’ at World Cheese Awards in England
- New hay barn built enabling greater hay storage for year-round cheese making
- Spring Brook Farm recipient of Vermont Dairy of Distinction Award for 4th consecutive year
- Welcomed our 9,000th student and started a children-run Farm Stand in Woodstock, VT’s ‘Market on the Green’
- Our Tarentaise Cheese received Gold in Semi-Hard Cheese Category at North American Jersey Cheese Awards
- Welcomed first school from Jackson, Mississippi
- Construction of new dorm kitchen began in July